RSP Member - Dartmoor National Park Authority
Dartmoor National Park Authority
Who we are
Dartmoor National Park Authority works to conserve and enhance Dartmoor as a vibrant, living, working landscape, supporting Dartmoor’s businesses and communities in partnership with local and national stakeholders.
Dartmoor National Park Authority was created by the Environment Act 1995 to:
- conserve and enhance Dartmoor National Park’s natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage
- promote opportunities for the public to understand and enjoy the special qualities of Dartmoor National Park.
We have a duty to:
- promote the economic and social wellbeing of local communities in Dartmoor National Park.
And we are also the local planning authority for Dartmoor.
We aim to:
- help to conserve and enhance the biodiversity, cultural heritage and landscape of Dartmoor
- provide opportunities for people to enjoy the countryside and contribute to their health and wellbeing
- support our local communities and the rural economy
- be an efficient and effective organisation which works with partners to deliver the best outcome for Dartmoor.
How we work
- produce the Dartmoor National Park Management Plan – this five year strategic plan from 2014-2019 guides all our work for the future of Dartmoor
- are the planning authority for Dartmoor, responsible for preparing the local plan, helping parishes with their neighbourhood plans and determining planning applications.
- promote sustainable development, and work with authorities and agencies concerned with the social and economic wellbeing of national park communities
- protect, maintain and enhance natural habitats and areas of ecological significance, and advise on their protection and management
- look after public access to the Park and maintain the footpath and bridleway network
- provide the national park Ranger service
- provide information about the park online, through leaflets and factsheets and in our information centres
- run events and activities to help everyone learn about and enjoy Dartmoor
- protect, maintain and enhance sites of archaeological significance and advise on their protection and management
- have an education service to help young people understand and enjoy Dartmoor.