Our work on Local Government Finance is split into two areas, the Fairer Funding campaign and a financial analysis of local authority budgets.
- SPARSE Rural as an organisation defends the rural interest and the Sparsity Allowance in the Local Government funding formulae.
- We consider the formula funding to be woefully inadequate. It goes nowhere near to meeting the higher costs of operating essential services in rural areas.
Did you know that:
- Spending Power per head is less in rural areas than in urban areas … yet …
- Council Tax is much higher per head in rural areas than in urban areas … this is because …
- Formula Grant is considerably lower per head in rural areas than urban areas.
Put simply, rural communities are paying more for less provision in their local areas.
The Rural Fair Share Group is a grouping of parliamentarians who have come together to argue for fairer funding for services across rural England. The Secretary of the Group is Graham Stuart MP.
Click here to view a presentation on Spending Power Analysis from March 2013 comparing Rural and Urban areas.
Click here to see the Governments Pledge on Rural Services
Future areas of work:
- 14-15 Spending Power Analysis
- Early Review of Localisation of Business Rates
We provide a range of analysis for local authorities, considering their individual RA position (revenue estimate) and RO position (Revenue Outturn) compared with other authorities and groups of authorities: